Saturday, January 16, 2010

Phoenix, the phoenix, other places and things...

Christmas eve - amidst the uncertainty of actually making it to Arizona, due to the unexpected snowstorm in the midwest, I somehow managed to make it to the airport. Sure was pleasantly surprised to find my flight was on AND was on time when all others were betting whether their flights would take off or not. Something to do with flying out of the smaller terminal perhaps or pure destiny? The airport experience started on a lighter note with the person checking me in commenting on my scarf and getting excited that she has the same one that she purchased in a NY sidewalk sale, just like I had.

I have never been an avid driver and with the usual skepticism around things I don't consider my cup of tea, I landed in Phoenix and took the shuttle straight to the rental car agency. Hearing that I needed to drive to Sedona I was offered a car with a better capacity. I started my drive from Phoenix to Sedona with music as my only companion. I must thank my DJ friend who'd just updated the ipod song list for this trip. My heart and spirits were singing and uplifted that made the drive feel like floating in the clouds. I know it might sound exaggerated but this is my blog, remember?

Sedona approached in no time after just one stop to stretch, and as I drove through the meandering "circles" the excitement started creeping into me. It was unexpectedly cold (for me anyway) as I hadn't done my research fully on the geographical attributes of the region and wasn't warmly dressed. The amazing Grand Canyon was in my agenda, but since the day I was planning to go there was a holiday (Christmas) there were no scheduled tours. So I decided to drive there myself the next day. It turned out to be a really good decision, as the drive was not just scenic but easy as well given the really high speed limits and mostly empty highways. As I drove through Flagstaff appreciating the approaching peaks and valleys, it was taking me into a meditative state already.

Grand Canyon was colder. But seeing it with snow for real rendered me speechless, and I felt the awe that I usually do when looking at natural splendors. This is so big, God has to be bigger and I am so small. And despite the tourist crowd, there is a certain serenity to the place, and I could almost hear the winds whispering the past secrets of people who've been there before me and many others. And as a person that is naturally sensitive to vibrations and energy, I could feel an undeniably strong presence. Naturally, I attributed it to the fact that it was a holy land and dwelling place for native Americans.

I had to pull myself out of the trance of looking at it from many different angles, and after multiple stops and photos, reluctantly turned back to start my drive to Sedona. Although, I vowed to myself to do the Colorado river rafting, to be in the Canyon and see it up-close and personal sometime in future. The drive back was no less exciting. With the San Fransisco peaks looming on me, and the Flagstaff folks sledding in the endless sea of snow by the highway near town, I was in another world - a new world. A world of wonderment at everything like a child and in a "rampage of appreciation".

Sedona is a very unique place. I had planned to spend almost three days there, and I meant for it to partially be a spiritual retreat. The retreat itself enabled me to meet some very wonderful human beings and it deserves a separate blog. But even otherwise, it is a place filled with positive energy and forces you to do soul-searching through self-discovery.

As I got back to my inn after the Grand Canyon, I decided to explore on a place to eat dinner. The person at the reception had given me just some steak houses and other places which are mainstream. Determined to find that perfect place, I ignored that information and starting driving aimlessly when a sign attracted me "Organic vegan food" - hurray! It was a quaint local eatery which seemed to have a regular following. As I walked in, sure enough it was a homely ambiance and I picked a remote table to get some peace and quiet. But it was not to be! An elderly lady walked by and stunned me with her question - "are you being punished or something? why don't you come and join us?". Of course I couldn't resist - I was there after all for unique experiences. I joined her and her husband, along with two other complete strangers, and ended up having not only great food but an enchanting conversation around religion, gurus and all things spiritual.

The next day my spiritual journey started and you will have to read my next blog for the unbelievable experiences I had.

My friend from Phoenix came up to meet me two days later, and we drove back together from Sedona. We stopped once to buy exquisite Indian turquoise jewellery and then raced some on the highway, and after an exhilarating drive we reached her place. It turns out that she is a cowgirl as well, other than a successful career woman! I was pleasantly surprised and eager to get to know that side of her. Moose her Labrador and I took a special liking to each other for some reason.

The rest of the trip was done like a typical tourist, that weighed heavily on fun and less on profundity. I visited the desert botanical gardens and the next day shopped for some more turquoise jewellery. The experience included wearing elaborate but borrowed jewellery and posing with the native American mannequins at the store! The other unforgettable episode was the horse-back riding, just before heading out to the airport to travel back home. Bonding with Monte and riding him was so amazing and it reassured my adventurous spirit.

Some get-aways can make you happy, or even make you cry, and some can touch you emotionally or simply leave you awestruck. I couldn't categorize this trip in any one of them. And although there were some deep emotions, it was much more than that. It was like peeling an onion, and removing layers of self-inflicted boundaries, and perceptions and opinions formed over years. Sometimes this realization can knock you out of the complacency about yourself, and makes you rise like the phoenix bird from the ashes of unwanted and negative memories and impressions.

There you go! Now you know the reason behind the title of the blog.. Read on..

1 comment:

  1. If you want to do a Grand Canyon raft trip in the future, check out http://rivers-oceans.com/ they work with all 16 outfitters and their service is free. They can help you find the right trip for you - fast. I have worked in the canyon since 1981 and if you are thinking of 2010 there is plenty of space still and there are even some discounted trips, these never used to happen before the economy went south.

    ReplyDelete